Saturday, January 21, 2023

OAMC #12 - Football and PC Cards

Decisions can be hard when it comes to cards. An easy decision for me--I don't collect modern Basketball or Football sets. Basically, if it's not a Topps set and it happened after 1995 in one of those sports, I don't worry about it... Mostly. 

There are exceptions. I love Ovation, Metal and UD Masterpiece and a few other sets, so they live in Basketball in Football just the same. The years are irrelevant. So, with the exceptions out of the way, there isn't much left for the other two sports in my life right?

Wrong...

There are 11 exceptions to Basketball and 16 exceptions to Football that fall into what is now my solidified NSPC category. (Non-Set Player Collection) The list is as follows:

Basketball:

  1. Charles Barkley
  2. Stephen Curry
  3. Patrick Ewing
  4. Walt Frazier
  5. Allen Iverson
  6. Karl Malone
  7. Shaquille O'Neal
  8. Pat Riley
  9. David Robinson
  10. Detlef Schrempf
  11. John Starks
Football:
  1. Tiki Barber
  2. Saquon Barkley
  3. Jerome Bettis
  4. Blake Bortles
  5. Terry Bradshaw
  6. Brett Favre
  7. Jeff Hostetler
  8. Brandon Jacobs
  9. Daniel Jones
  10. Jim Kelly
  11. Eli Manning
  12. Peyton Manning
  13. Phil Simms
  14. Michael Strahan
  15. Lawrence Taylor
  16. Thurmon Thomas
  17. Pat Tillman*
(*Pat Tillman is also included as a PC player in Football for very different reasons. Tillman and I were both in Iraq in 2003, although he was definitely more involved in what was happening than my unit was at the time. The simple fact is that I served in country with a professional Football player who dropped his career to serve his country and paid the ultimate price in Afghanistan. Collecting his cards just feels right.)

Speaking of Football, I've been logging Football like crazy. 1989 Pro Set and 1990 Score in Particular. I got 1990 Pro Set's Master Set down to 168 cards as well.

Maybe it's the Giants being in the playoffs and facing the Eagles tonight. Maybe it's the easy access to 6 boxes of football cards or maybe it's the idea of getting those knocked out so I can move on to Baseball again, but I have been wanting to really focus on Football and get it organized. 

We will see how that goes.

Go GIANTS!
Joe



1 comment: