Monday, December 12, 2022

I Bought a Collection Not Too Long Ago

I bought a collection from my LCS not long ago. A friend of the owner's had passed away and the owner was charged with selling the collection via the friend's mother. Part of this went eBay, part to people he knew would buy certain things, and the bulk...  Went to me. 

I like bulk collections because you never know what's in there. 

So, the wife and I sorted the cards. We kept all of the baseball and hockey. We kept football and basketball prior to 1996 and any PC items. (Shaq, Ewing, Curry, Manning Bros, Bradshaw, etc.) We also kept some of the big name guys for me to put up on TCDB for trades--names like Brady and LeBron. Some special teams went to friends and some special sports like wrestling went to other friends. What we didn't collect eventually went back to the LCS. 

Out of 64 boxes, only 18 returned. 

What I did inherit was a lot of Bowman, Bowman Draft, Pro Debut, Heritage Minors, Elite Extra Edition, etc. The man was a big prospector. What this meant for me was making massive dents in sets that I barely have anything for. But this also did something for my doubles...

Every night, the wife and I watch Dr. Who while we organize doubles so I can log them in TCDB. This morning I logged some 2020 Bowman Draft. From barely owning any cards from that set, I now have 10-12 of most and 2-3 of each chrome. This is amazing as far as trading is concerned since people love 1st Bowman cards. 

The crazy part is--it's going to be like this from 2015-2021...  When I'm done I will have a veritable army of Bowman to trade. 

Buying collections can be an amazing thing. I was sorry to hear about the owner's friend. I don't know if I ever got to meet him, but if he can hear me typing this--thanks, Mike. Your cards are making another collector very happy. I hope you collecting legacy lives on through me and the people who are made happy as I spread it through the hobby. Rest easy.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment