Monday, December 19, 2022

A Multi-Hobby Presence in My Life Says Hi

Flashback: 

It's 1987. Hasbro's GI Joe is the second most important thing in my young life next to cards. GI Joe drops a full-length movie staring Don Johnson, Burgess Meredith and the Iconic SGT Slaughter. I spend hours warping the VHS tape. 

I had just about every figure in the movie. When I was a little older I traded them to a friend for Baseball Cards. (Still hurts.) 

(Years later, I sold a bunch of my cards at a garage sale. I use the I loosely as it was the housemates I lived with that saw the profits. Stef and I have rebuilt the empire since 2018.)

One amazing thing about the GI Joe movie (Which I won own on DVD and VHS now.) is that it included the WWE Hall of Famer SGT Slaughter. SGT Slaughter was first introduced to me via the WWF with Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior and Andre the Giant and JYD and Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Slim Jim Guy... But SGT Slaughter became bigger in my life when he was in that movie and I not only owned his wrestling card, but also his action figure.

Fast Forward:

I'm 45 now. Nostalgia is a big thing. Our icons sometimes do things to say hi that make our days better. Dee Snider and Wade Boggs have like my Tweets. Fergie Jenkins replied to me. 

SGT Slaughter followed me back and then thanked me for my service! This is huge. GI Joe (the shirt I was wearing yesterday) was a big reason I was obsessed with the military. It was part of the fascination that sent me to the Army when I was 20. To have a man that I idolized acknowledge that service and come from that GI Joe background is monumental. 

To say that it made my Sunday would be an understatement.

The Rangers, Knicks and Giants winnings also helped.  And the wife making Caramel Corn.

But the highlight--SGT Slaughter exchanged words with me and is watching, ever vigilant. 

Thank you again, sir. I cannot tell you in real words what this means. I hope to one day meet you.

Joe

PS - At Ease, Disease!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I collected GI Joe heavily as a kid and remember how cool it was to have a real person as a Joe figure. Yo Joe!

    ReplyDelete